WHY RETINOL IS A MUST-HAVE FOR BLEMISH PRONE SKIN
Retinol is the most well-known, well-loved and widely used skincare ingredient out there, especially in anti-ageing skincare products thanks to its cell renewing and collagen stimulating properties.
However, it’s also a must-have in any skincare routine to help both prevent breakouts and help treat any post-blemish marks or acne scarring.
WHAT IS RETINOL?
Retinol is a type of retinoid derived from Vitamin A. Retinoid is the umbrella term for both gentler at-home grades as well as the more potent types only available with prescription. The strongest Retinoids, like isotretinoin and tretinoin, are pure retinoic acid, which means you’ll start seeing results straight away. However, this can come with significant side effects which is why these types of retinoids can be prescription only.
HOW WILL RETINOL HELP MY SKIN?
- Retinol increases cell turnover and stimulates collagen production, which helps to plump skin and minimise fine lines and wrinkles
- Retinol brightens skin and helps fade pigmentation and uneven skin tone, including dark spots and post blemish marks / acne scarring
- Retinol exfoliates to help clear pores clear and prevent breakouts making it a great choice for acne prone skin.
HOW TO USE RETINOL IN YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE
- Start low and go slow
- Use a lower concentration of retinol 1-2 times per week and increase use if your skin is dealing OK with the level used
- Use in the evening and follow with SPF in the AM
- If also using acids in your skincare routine then use on alternative nights to AHA/BHAs, with Vitamin C application in the morning. This way you’ll maximise effectiveness and minimise irritation
- The right level for you will depend on your skin needs and tolerability. For retinol, anything above 0.0015% is effective, up to a max level of 0.3% as allowed by UK/ EU. Any formula higher than this would need to have additional studies to prove their safety.
WHY CLEAR SKIN DAYS RETINOL SERUM IS PERFECT FOR ACNE AND BLEMISHES
- We’ve included a 5% Retinol complex, which contains 0.05% pure retinol which is effective and tolerable for most skin types
- We’ve used a Cyclosystem Complex in which the retinol is micro-capsuled, controlling its release to prolong its action time
- We’ve included 5% Niacinamide. Like retinol, Niacinamide has a whole heap of skin benefits for any skin type, which is why we love it. It’s a great partner to retinol as it helps to balance oil production, even pigmentation, smooth skin and reduce pore appearance
- Finally we’ve also added 5% Morus Alba extract (White Mulberry) - this is a tried and tested ingredient to help fade discolouration and uneven skin tone, whilst helping to calm skin for a brighter, more radiant complexion.
So whether you’re wanting to target blemishes & pigmentation, or if refreshed and brighter skin is your goal, we recommending trying out a retinol into your skincare routine if you haven't already.
GET IN TOUCH
We hope that you've found this blog helpful - if you have any questions or would like to share your skincare journey with us, we'd love to hear from you. You can get in touch via the form below or by DM on IG.