WHY RETINOL IS THE nO1 skincare INGREDIENT YOU NEED IN YOUR GROOMING ROUTINE
Retinol is one of the most talked about skincare ingredients out there and for good reason. Whether its used for reducing spots and breakouts or to target signs of ageing, its an ingredient powerhouse that has been a key ingredient in the skincare industry for decades. For male skin in particular, retinol could be the ingredient you need in your grooming routine.
WHAT IS RETINOL?
Retinol is a type of retinoid derived from Vitamin A. Retinoid is the umbrella term for both gentler at-home grades as well as the more potent types only available with prescription. The strongest Retinoids, like isotretinoin and tretinoin, are pure retinoic acid, which means you’ll start seeing results straight away. However, this can come with significant side effects which is why these types of retinoids can be prescription only.
HOW WILL RETINOL HELP MY SKIN?
- Breakouts and Acne: Male skin has larger pores than female skin and is also oilier. With larger pores and oil there comes an increased risk of dirt and oil getting trapped in pores, which can lead to spots and breakouts. Retinol helps to exfoliate skin, encouraging it to shed / slough to help prevent blocked pores
- Ingrown Hairs: Men can experience ingrown hairs if shaving frequently, which can lead to bumps which are red and painful. Retinol is a great ingredient to help try and prevent this by exfoliating skin to help prevent the hair follicle from becoming trapped
- Lines and Wrinkles: Male skin is thought to age more slowly than female skin, as women lose more collagen (which helps skin to stay plump and firm) more quickly than men when they age. Retinol is one of the few ingredients that actually helps skin to appear younger as it promotes cell regeneration and collagen production. For all skin, Retinol is the No1 ingredient to add to a skincare routine if you want to target signs of ageing
- Dark Spots and Uneven Skin Tone: Unfortunately, men have traditionally used less SPF protection than women. Only around 15% of men are likely to use SPF regularly, whereas females are much more likely to build SPF into their daily routines. This means men are more prone to sun damage, which can lead to pigmentation, dark spots and uneven skin tone. To help treat this, retinol is a great ingredient for helping to brighten and even out skin tone if you have experienced sun damage. HOWEVER, if using retinol its important to apply SPF in the morning to prevent skin irritation and sun sensitivity
HOW TO USE RETINOL IN YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE
- Start low and go slow
- Use a lower concentration of retinol 1-2 times per week and increase use if your skin is dealing OK with the level used
- Use in the evening and follow with SPF in the AM
- If also using acids in your skincare routine then use on alternative nights to AHA/BHAs, with Vitamin C application in the morning. This way you’ll maximise effectiveness and minimise irritation
- The right level for you will depend on your skin needs and tolerability. For retinol, anything above 0.0015% is effective, up to a max level of 0.3% as allowed by UK/ EU. Any formula higher than this would need to have additional studies to prove their safety.
WHY CLEAR SKIN DAYS RETINOL SERUM IS PERFECT FOR ACNE AND BLEMISHES
- We’ve included a 5% Retinol complex, which contains 0.05% pure retinol which is effective and tolerable for most skin types
- We’ve used a Cyclosystem Complex in which the retinol is micro-capsuled, controlling its release to prolong its action time
- We’ve included 5% Niacinamide. Like retinol, Niacinamide has a whole heap of skin benefits for any skin type, which is why we love it. It’s a great partner to retinol as it helps to balance oil production, even pigmentation, smooth skin and reduce pore appearance
- Finally we’ve also added 5% Morus Alba extract (White Mulberry) - this is a tried and tested ingredient to help fade discolouration and uneven skin tone, whilst helping to calm skin for a brighter, more radiant complexion.
So whether you’re wanting to target blemishes, signs of ageing, or need to give dull skin a brightening boost, we recommend trying out a retinol into your skincare routine if you haven't already.
GET IN TOUCH
We hope that you've found this blog helpful - if you have any questions or would like to share your skincare journey with us, we'd love to hear from you. You can get in touch via the form below or by DM on IG.