why you should add retinol into your skincare routine in your 30's
If you are over 30 and aren't yet using retinol, then its time take a closer look at this powerhouse ingredient. Today many of us are happy to let our skin reflect a life well lived with a few lines and wrinkles, so might be thinking that retinol isn't for them as it's best known as an anti-ageing ingredient.
However, Retinol actually delivers a whole host of skin benefits that can help with all challenges your skin faces as you age. If you are looking to brighten dull skin or help skin navigate hormonal changes brought on by the menopause, menstrual cycles or birth control, then retinol can be a game-changing addition to your skincare routine.
WHAT IS RETINOL?
Retinol is a type of retinoid derived from Vitamin A. Retinoid is the umbrella term for both gentler at-home grades as well as the more potent types only available with prescription. The strongest Retinoids, like isotretinoin and tretinoin, are pure retinoic acid, which means you’ll start seeing results straight away. However, this can come with significant side effects which is why these types of retinoids can be prescription only.
why retinol is so good for over 30s skincare
Uneven skin tone
HOW TO USE RETINOL IN YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE
- Start low and go slow
- Use a lower concentration of retinol 1-2 times per week and increase use if your skin is dealing OK with the level used
- Use in the evening and follow with SPF in the AM
- If also using acids in your skincare routine then use on alternative nights to AHA/BHAs, with Vitamin C application in the morning. This way you’ll maximise effectiveness and minimise irritation
- The right level for you will depend on your skin needs and tolerability. For retinol, anything above 0.0015% is effective, up to a max level of 0.3% as allowed by UK/ EU. Any formula higher than this would need to have additional studies to prove their safety.
WHY CLEAR SKIN DAYS RETINOL SERUM IS PERFECT FOR ACNE AND BLEMISHES
- We’ve included a 5% Retinol complex, which contains 0.05% pure retinol which is effective and tolerable for most skin types
- We’ve used a Cyclosystem Complex in which the retinol is micro-capsuled, controlling its release to prolong its action time
- We’ve included 5% Niacinamide. Like retinol, Niacinamide has a whole heap of skin benefits for any skin type, which is why we love it. It’s a great partner to retinol as it helps to balance oil production, even pigmentation, smooth skin and reduce pore appearance
- Finally we’ve also added 5% Morus Alba extract (White Mulberry) - this is a tried and tested ingredient to help fade discolouration and uneven skin tone, whilst helping to calm skin for a brighter, more radiant complexion.
So whether you’re wanting to target blemishes, signs of ageing, or need to give dull skin a brightening boost, we recommend trying out a retinol into your skincare routine if you haven't already.
GET IN TOUCH
We hope that you've found this blog helpful - if you have any questions or would like to share your skincare journey with us, we'd love to hear from you. You can get in touch via the form below or by DM on IG.